Affordable Housing Resources:

The WI Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) together with the Dept. of Administration and the Dept. of Health Services sponsor WIHousingSearch.org. This website is for Wisconsin residents looking to find an affordable place to rent, and also has resources for homelessness, people with disabilities, home-ownership, public housing, and other  social services.

WI Association of Housing Authorities
Many WI Public Housing Authorities advertise vacant units available for eligible subsidized housing residents. http://www.wahaonline.org/

WI Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) Housing Choice Voucher ProgramHelps families with very low to extremely low incomes rent decent, safe, sanitary and affordable housing. Request for applications or questions should be directed to agents.

The Rental Housing Development (RHD) Program
Assists eligible housing organizations, including Community Housing Development Organizations (CHDOs), with funds to develop affordable rental housing. For-profit corporations may partner or apply directly for these funds. The funds must serve households at or below 60% of the County Median Income (CMI). Projects receiving HOME funds are subject to rent limitations for a specified period of time. Funds may be used for acquisition, rehabilitation, and new construction activities.

Elderly Housing Resources:

The Aging and Disability Resource Centers
(ADRC) provide information on a broad range of programs and services, help people understand the various long-term care options available to them, help people apply for programs and benefits, and serve as the access point for publicly funded long-term care.

Home Owner Repairs:

The HOME HHR was established to provide essential home purchase assistance and necessary home rehabilitation, and other vital improvements for dwelling units occupied by low- and moderate-income households. The program provides funding for: Homebuyer assistance: Direct assistance may be provided to eligible homebuyers for down payment and closing costs, acquisition and rehabilitation, or new construction. Grantees may utilize the funds to construct housing for sale to low- and moderate-income (LMI) homebuyers (household income at or below 80% County Median Income). Owner-occupied rehabilitation: Funds are provided for making essential improvementsto single-family homes serving as the principal residence of LMI owners. Eligible costs include energy-related improvements, accessibility improvements, lead-based paint hazard reduction, and repair of code violations.

Housing Cost Reduction Initiative Program
(HCRI) provides state funds to certain Housing organizations to assist low-income homeowners in danger of losing their homes.

Community Development Block Grant
Small Cities Program (CDBG-Housing) is administered by the WI Dept. of Admin., Division of Energy, Housing and Community Resources (DEHCR), provides grants to general purpose units of local government for housing programs which principally benefit low- and moderate-income (LMI) households. These funds are primarily used for rehabilitation of housing units, homebuyer assistance, and small neighborhood public facility projects. CDBG dollars are flexible and responsive to local needs.
Email: doaaffordablehousing@wisconsin.gov

WHEDA Home Improvement Advantage Loan
A homeowner can borrow up to $15,000 to improve the quality and value of their home. The borrower must have no late mortgage payments in the past 6 months, a credit score of 620 or better, total mortgage debt cannot exceed 110%of value, and household must meet WHEDA Home Improvement Advantage income limits.
Email: info@wheda.com

Homeless Resources:

The state funds local providers to advertise homeless services and perform direct outreach to clients. Homeless services include emergency assistance (emergency shelters, one-time rent and utility payments, and transitional housing), short-term supportive housing (rapid re-housing and transitional housing for up to 24 months), permanent supportive housing, and assistance accessing other mainstream resources (e.g., SSI/SSDI, Medicare/Medicaid, SNAP). Coordinated intake is performed by 211 agencies and local providers (except emergency shelters) who are funded by the State; Wisconsin’s HMIS is administered by the Institute for Community Alliances in partnership with providers and the State. Wisconsin’s shelter availability changes seasonally and not all shelters are publicly advertised or funded by the State.

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS
HOPWA provides resources for meeting the housing needs of persons with AIDS or related diseases and their families. Aids Resource Center:

Veteran Centers
Veteran Centers in Wisconsin may be found in Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, and Wausau.

HUD -  Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing
Tenant-based voucher program combines HuE rental assistance for homeless veterans with case management and clinical services by the Dept. of Veteran Affairs. Veterans Outreach Coordinator: 608-320-2095

Landlord/Tenant Resources:

The Dept. of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer ProtectionProvides a Guide for landlords and tenants (https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents/LT-LandlordTenantGuide497.pdf ), a consumer fact sheet on Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents/LT-TenantsRights143.pdf ).

Consumer Protection Hotline: 
1-800-422-7128 or DATCPHotline@wisconsin.gov

The Tenant Resource Center
The Tenant Resource Center is a nonprofit organization that provides information and referrals, education about rental rights and responsibilities, and access to conflict resolution.

Or in Milwaukee: http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/User/jkamme/EAP/Info Library/InfoLibrary_WiscLandlordTenant.pdf

WI Fair Housing CouncilThe Metro Milwaukee Fair Housing Council is a private, nonprofit organization that operates a full-service fair housing program. MMFHC promotes fair housing by combating illegal housing discrimination and by creating and maintaining racially and economically integrated housing patterns. MMFHC serves Milwaukee, Washington, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Dane, Outagamie, Brown, Winnebago, and Calumet Counties, the City of Fond du Lac, and conducts out-of-service-area activities as well.  Toll-free statewide complaint intake line:  1-877-647-FAIR (3247)

Wisconsin Department of Administration:

The Bureau of Community Development
is responsible for public infrastructure, blight elimination, and business development activities.

The Bureau of Supportive Housing
Oversees homeless and special needs programs. 

The Bureau of Affordable Housing
Administers home purchase and rehabilitation, single family and multifamily development, and disaster recovery assistance.