Resources for New Officials
Welcome to the League
Local government is not a spectator sport; thank you for being a part of your municipality’s leadership. City and village government depends upon citizens like you stepping up and offering your knowledge, common sense and point of view; and then working with other citizens to build consensus and move your city or village forward.
The League is here to help you do that job. We were organized in 1898 by local officials like yourself to serve as an unbiased resource for the people of local government. In keeping with our simple mission, this New Elected Officials web site is a packet of essential material that our experience says you will need in your new role.
Jerry Deschane, Executive Director
The League lobbies the Legislature on behalf of Wisconsin's cities and villages.
- Learn more about the League's Legislative advocacy. Explore the Legislative Tab.
- Sign up for the League's Lobby Team.
- Make sure that you stay informed and sign up for the League's Legislative Bulletin (sent Monday's while the Legislature is in session) and the Capitol Buzz (sent as needed.) Subscribe here.
The League provides Legal Services
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Learn more about the League's collection of Resources. Explore the Resources Tab
- The popular Municipal Budgeting Toolkit provides links to help you through the budget process. See the sidebar for everything from Key Numbers for Preparing your Budget to Levy Limits. Access the Budgeting Toolkit here.
- From the League's popular Handbook for Municipal Officials to Municipal Licensing and Regulation of Alcoholic Beverages, explore the League's 13 Handbooks and Manuals. Order the Handbooks here.
The League Provides Opportunities for Networking & Engaging
- Learn more about the League's nine different workshops and meetings. Explore the Conferences Tab.
- The League's Local Government 101 provides new and experienced officials and staff with information on powers of municipalities, ethics, meeting protocol, budgeting, and public works. Register for Local Government 101 here.