Intoxicating Liquors FAQ 25

Can the municipal clerk issue operator’s licenses without action by the governing body?

Pursuant to 2019 Wis. Act 166, municipal governing bodies may now, by ordinance, authorize a designated municipal official, such as the clerk, to issue operator’s licenses. Wis. Stat. § 125.17(1). Such designation of authority may also include the authority to issue temporary operator’s licenses and provisional operator’s licenses. Wis. Stat. §§ 125.17(4), (6)(b). (new 4/20)