120th League Annual Conference & EPW Institute
October 24-26, 2018 at Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells
The Art of Tinkering Closing Address
Online Registration Form (Use this link to register and pay with a credit card online.)
Online Invoice Registration Form (Use this link if you wish to register and be sent an invoice.)
Printable paper registration form available here. (PDF)
Printable 1-page agenda available here. (PDF)
will be accepted through September 23 or until the room block is completely booked. Block Rate reservations ($115 Single/Double) will be available by calling Kalahari Resorts directly at 877-253-5466 and asking for League of Wisconsin Municipalities 2018 Block Rate.
Wisconsin Artist Jason Kotecki: The Art of Tinkering
Friday, October 26. After three days of workshops on Finance, Planing, Ethics, Development, Strategic Collaboration, Pavement Preservation and Stormwater Management, top off the Conference with words of wisdom from a man whose memorable storytelling is designed to spark intentional thinking, empowering you to shift your perspective.
Make your case to attend the Annual Conference!
2018 League Annual Conference Agenda
We may have to tinker with titles, speakers, and times. This agenda is subject to change. Click on underlined titles for workshop descriptions and speaker/presentation information.
Engineering & Public Works Institute workshops are marked with an asterisk (*) and will have on-site documentation for Professional Development Hours.
8:00 a.m. Registration Opens!
9:00 a.m. Deep Dives Begin (two-hour workshops)
New start time!
- Baraboo Tour (Bus seating limited and will require a ticket. Please pre-register.)
- Developing Workforce Housing
- Planning For and Recovering From a Disaster Event
9:00 a.m. Mini Bar (four-hour workshop)
Fundamentals for Municipal Attorneys
10:00 a.m. Exhibit Hall Opens--93 Vendors!
Noon Light Lunch Buffet in the Exhibit Hall
1:00 p.m. General Session
1:30 p.m. Municipal Roundtable
3:30 p.m. Engineering & Public Works Roundtable*
4:30 p.m. President's Reception (hors d'oeuvres and drinks in the Exhibit Hall)
5:45 p.m. Raffle Drawings for Exhibit Hall Gift Baskets
6:30 p.m. Table for 10 Networking Dinner (Each person pays his/her own dinner tab.)
7:00 a.m. 6th Annual WEA Trust/League Walk/Run sponsored by WEA Trust
8:00 a.m. Continental Breakfast
9:00 - 10:15 a.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
- TIF 102: Development Incentives vs Community Goals
- Community Engagement Model for Comprehensive Plans
- Local Government Ethics
- Orange Barrels & Business: Managing Street Construction Impact on the Local Economy
- How to Plan & Fund Capital Improvement Projects* ⇝ New to the Agenda!
10:15-10:30 a.m. BREAK
10:30 - 11:45 a.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
- Conditional Use Administration: A New Paradigm
- Can Small Communities be Cool?
- Local Government Ethics
- Construction Delivery Methods for Public Entities Sponsored by Miron Construction
- Toolbox of Pavement Preservation*
Noon - 1:15 p.m. LUNCH/KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
- Transforming #MeToo Into Harassment Free Workplaces Through Cultural Change
- Arts + Creativity + Entrepreneurship = Local Vitality
- Decorum & Civility in Local Government Meetings
- Regionalism & Community Success
- Best Practices for Bidding in a Strong Economy*
2:45 - 4:15 p.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
- Legislative Update
- Large Community Roundtable
- Small Community Roundtable
- Ask the Attorneys
- Attributes of Successful Stormwater Management Programs*
4:30 - 6:00 p.m. NETWORKING RECEPTION sponsored by Siemens
7:30 a.m. Scrambled Eggs & Politics Sponsored by Enbridge
8:45 - 9:45 a.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
- Grants 101: Public Funding Basics, Trends & Successful Strategies
- Go Pro! When to Hire an Administrator
- Ethics for Engineers*
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. CONCURRENT WORKSHOPS
11:15 a.m. CLOSING ADDRESS
Noon Pizza Buffet Lunch & #JustFixIt Strategic Review
sponsored by the League of Wisconsin Municipalities and Transportation Development Association