Appointments & Vacancies FAQ 6

Can a minor (i.e., someone who has not reached the age of 18 years) be appointed to a municipal committee or commission?

Yes. Nothing in state law prohibits minors from being appointed to serve on municipal committees, boards, or commissions. A person must be a resident elector of the municipality to be eligible for election to a municipal office and only persons 18 years of age or older qualify as electors. See Wisconsin Stat. §§ 61.19 (villages), 62.09(2) (cities), and 6.02 (qualifications for electors). However, no similar eligibility requirements apply to persons serving in appointive municipal offices. (rev. 11/20)