Governing Bodies: General FAQ 7

How does a city or village change the size of its governing body?

A village board may, by ordinance, change the number of trustees but the change shall not affect the term of office of trustees elected before the ordinance authorizing the change is adopted. Wis. Stat. § 61.20(4). The common council of a city may, by a two-thirds vote of all its members but not more frequently than once in 2 years, increase or decrease the number of aldermanic districts or the number of members of the city council. However, the common council must then redistrict, readjust and change the boundaries of aldermanic districts to meet certain statutory requirements. Wis. Stat. § 62.08(4). (rev. 5/20)