April E-Muni -Transitions & the Creative Economy
The E-Muni is provided for your information only as an e-supplement to the magazine. It gives you additional resources around the subjects highlighted in the magazine. It is sent monthly.
Transitions in Local Government
The new Mayors and Village Board Presidents, new Council and Board members have now been sworn in and the transition begins. On average, about 800 elected positions turnover every April statewide in Cities and Villages.
Local Government 101: Important Basics
This one-day workshop provides a good framework for governing, not only for new local government officials and staff but also for veteran officials
. Join us! Details and registration here
The Creative Economy
In her article "So How Do You Do the Creative Economy Anyway? (Hint: It's a Process)" Anne Katz, Executive Director of Arts Wisconsin
provided a list of resources that we have linked to below.
- What is the creative economy, really? Forbes, 10-8-2011
- Defining the Creative Economy Ann Markusen, Director, Project on Regional and Industrial Economics (PRIE), University of Minnesota, 2006
- Creative Placemaking Ann Markusen, commissioned by the National Endowment for the Arts, 2010
- The Creative Economy – A New Definition New England Foundation for the Arts, 2007
- Creative Placemaking 101 for Community Developers Ann Nicodemus, LISC Institute for Comprehensive Community Development, 2014
- The Creative Community Builder’s Handbook: How to Transform Communities Using Local Assets, Arts and Culture by Tom Borrup, 2006. Assesses 20 arts-centered community development projects, with a step-by-step guide to economic, social, civic and physical development of communities through the arts.
- Arts-based Policies in Our Towns and Neighborhoods from the National Endowment for the Arts | May 2015
Thanks to everyone who adopted
the Creative Economy Week proclamation and for all you do to help your Community thrive! See more on Creative Economy on the League's Facebook page
. Coming soon!
The May Municipality provides a comprehensive legislative wrap-up as well as articles on Municipal Liability. Save the Date!
The League's Annual Conference is October 19, 21 in Stevens Point. If you have never attended the League's Annual Conference before, we are offering you 1/2 off your registration this year. Registration will go live in July. We'll see you there!