Intoxicating Liquor FAQ 21

May taverns and restaurants sell beer or liquor for off-premises consumption?

Any establishment that holds a Class “B” beer license may sell beer to customers for off-premises consumption. Wis. Stat. Sec. 125.26(1).

Any establishment that holds a “Class B” liquor license may sell wine for off-premises consumption in the original container in any quantity regardless of whether the municipality has adopted an ordinance allowing carryout liquor sales. Wis. Stat. Sec. 125.51(3)(b).

Any establishment holding a “Class B” liquor license may sell intoxicating liquor to consumers for off premises consumption only if the municipality has enacted an ordinance under Wis. Stat. Sec. 125.51(3)(b) allowing such sales. Sales of liquor for off-premises consumption cannot exceed four liters at any one time.

Finally, in restaurants, a “Class B” liquor or a “Class C” wine license authorizes the sale of wine in an opened original bottle to a person that orders food for consumption on and off the premises where sold in a quantity not to exceed one bottle. Wis. Stat. Sec. 125.51(3r). The unfinished partially consumed bottle can be taken off the licensed premises if the licensee securely reinserts the cork into the bottle so that the top of the bottle and the cork is reinserted at a time other than between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m.