Traffic Regulation FAQ 2

Can a municipality block off a street to have a snowmobile race?

Yes. A municipality may block off streets under its jurisdiction to allow special snowmobile events but may not block off any state trunk highway or connecting highway or part thereof for any snowmobile race or derby. The municipality must notify the local police department and the county sheriff ’s office at least one week in advance of the time and place of any snowmobile race or derby which may result in any street or portion thereof of the county or municipality being blocked off. Upon receiving such notice, the local police department shall take such measures as it deems appropriate to protect persons and property and to regulate traffic in the designated area and its vicinity on the day of the race or derby. Wis. Stat. § 350.04(1).

(rev. 11/21)