Zoning FAQ 4

Who is entitled to notice when a request to rezone a property will be considered?

Before property may be rezoned, a municipality must hold a public hearing. The public hearing must be preceded by publication of a Class 2 notice (2 insertions, a week apart). Wis. Stat. sec. 62.23(7)(d)2, Stats. State law also requires individual notice to property owners in some cases if the owner has requested such notice under sec. 62.23(7)(d)4. It is also important to check local ordinances because many municipal ordinances require that individual notice be given to property owners located within a certain distance of the property proposed to be rezoned.