Numerous firms and organizations in Wisconsin work with municipalities. Our spreadsheet includes organizations who have indicated to us that they are willing to provide grant services. (Note - if you are a consultant and would like to be added to the spreadsheet, contact Kristin Mickelson at email.)
Grants Assistance Spreadsheet (Updated 3/30/2022) The spreadsheet will download to your computer.
April 2022 The Municipality Magazine
This issue of the League's magazine is focused on grants and has great articles with tips and tricks. Read it here. (PDF)
National League of Cities - Resources for Any Municipality
NLC Federal Grant Navigation Program - By participating in the program, your city will receive specialized, one-on-one assistance, in addition to contributing to a robust nationwide collection of data that will help inform policymakers on how to maximize the impact of federal dollars.
NLC Data Tool - Check to see if your municipality is loaded.
Local Government Education at University of Wisconsin Madison, Division of Extension
Federal Grants – Grants.Gov
USDA article (PDF) from the April 2022 The Municipality that directly links to all of their resources.
WI Dept. of Administration (See Grants tab)
WI Office of Rural Prosperity
Resources and Grants for Rural Communities
Examples of Specific Opportunities
- Dam Removal Grant Program (DNR) - Applications are accepted on a continual basis.
- Recreational Boating Facilities Grant (DNR) - Annual application deadlines are: June 1, Sept. 1, Nov. 1 and Feb. 1
- Urban Forestry Catastrophic Storm Grants (DNR) - No later than 60 days after the date of the Governor’s declaration of emergency.
- Pilot Projects Program Adaptive Management, water quality trading & other projects for compliance with WPDES permit (DNR)
- Ready for Reuse Loan and Grant Program Hazardous Substance and Petroleum (DNR)
- Clean Water & Safe Drinking Water Loan Program - E-Bulletin.
- Community Facilities Direct Loans and Grants (USDA)
- Water and Waste Disposal Loans and Grants (USDA)
- Economic Development Assistance Programs (EDA)
- Federal Clean Vessel Act Grant Program (Federal Sport Fish Restoration Account of the Aquatic Resources Trust Fund)
- Ready, Set, Go Grants (WI Dept. of Tourism) - Applications must be submitted at least 90 days before start date of event.
- Joint Effort Marketing (JEM) Grant Program (WI Dept of Tourism)
- Tourist Information Center (TIC) Grant Program (WI Dept of Tourism)
- Freight Railroad Infrastructure Improvement Program (FRIIP) (WisDOT)
- Local Road Improvement Program (DOT)
- Transportation Alternatives Program (DOT)
- Transportation Economic Assistance (TEA) (DOT)
- Indian Community Development Block Grant (US Department of Housing and Urban Development)
- Public Assistance: Local, State, Tribal, and Private Non-Profit (FEMA)
- Wisconsin Assessment Monies (WAM)
- Brownfield Redevelopment Grant Program (WEDC)
- Brownfield Site Assessment Grant Program (WEDC) (SAG)
- Community Development Investment Grant Program (CDIG) – (WEDC)
- Idle Industrial Sites Redevelopment Program (WEDC)
- Main Street Program Information (WEDC)
- Connect Communities Program Information (WEDC)
- Wisconsin Disaster Fund (WEM)