Intoxicating Liquors FAQ 7

When a regular "Class B" liquor licensee decides not to renew his or her license or goes out of business and surrenders the license in the middle of the license year, does the license convert to a reserve "Class B" liquor license?

No. The rule is that all regular "Class B" licenses remain regular "Class B" licenses and all reserve "Class B" licenses remain reserve "Class B" licenses forever. Accordingly, if a licensee fails does not renew a regular “Class B” liquor license, the municipality would be able to grant the non-renewed or surrendered license as a regular "Class B" license to a qualified applicant. Incidentally, a holder of a reserve "Class B" liquor license may apply for an available regular "Class B" license upon surrendering the reserve license.